Friday 20 December 2019

The legendary Mishi Morath, RIP.


(Photo: Ollie Jarman / DHFC)

We were extremely sad to hear of the untimely death of Mishi Dulwich Morath. There are few people who can be regarded as a legend, but Mishi certainly was. A read through the myriad posts and threads on social network at news of his passing is proof of that. I have never met anyone else like Mishi, and I’m going to miss him immensely.

The very first conversation I ever had with Mishi was sometime in the mid-1990s. It was the final game of the season, which I happened to miss because I was at a friend’s wedding. With my football boots sneakily hidden in my bag, I was able to slip away for a couple of hours to Champion Hill to see if I could play in the Supporters versus Club match at 6pm.

When I arrived in the bar I introduced myself to Mishi, who was running the supporters’ team at the time, and asked if I could be included in the side. I was a bit taken aback when Mishi told me that he already had far too many players and there was no room for me. However, when he registered my disappointment he told me, to go down to the dressing room and get changed into the Hamlet kit and he might be able to find a few minutes for me near the end of the game.

Fortunately, as I ran out of the tunnel onto the pitch where the players were warming up, a loose ball came towards me and I struck a sweet shot into the top corner of the net at the Dog Kennel Hill end. “You’re starting!” said Mishi, and wrote my name in his pad. And thus began a connection between the two of us that lasted twenty five years.

Along with lots of low times supporting Dulwich Hamlet, we enjoyed some great times together. I’ll never forget that rainy evening in 1998 when Dulwich beat Newport Isle of Wight to make it through to the First round of the FA Cup for the first time in fifty years. At the final whistle I scaled the fence and ran onto the pitch in celebration to find a weeping Mishi overcome with emotion. I put my arm around him and gave him a big hug.

Another time we were at a game at Hendon and we noticed the perimeter wall behind the goal was wobbly, and an accident waiting to happen. When Dulwich were awarded a penalty, and Peter Garland fired it in, Mishi put an extra bit of weight onto the wall knocking a huge section over and saving people from a Leatherhead moment.

But he was always the same old Mishi, in love with everything Pink and Blue. Few have done more for Dulwich Hamlet over the past century and a quarter than Mishi Morath, and he was well known throughout non-league circles. When he attended a forum to save Hitchin Town’s Top Field ground, his fervent words in support of a rival club saw them put his picture on the cover of their next matchday programme!  


It was Mishi who founded the Hamlet Historian magazine. He had a real fascination with the history of the club, and enjoyed hearing about old things being revealed to a new generation. He was always a great encouragement to me after I took over the reins of his magazine, and I was always pleased when he supplied his inimitable articles or pointed me towards a good story.

It wasn’t all plain sailing though. Sometimes we fell out with each other – he could be exasperating or charming in equal measures – but I had a great deal of time and respect for Mishi and unashamedly shed a few tears at news of his death.

To his brother Ferenc and the rest of his friends and loved ones we send our sincere love and condolences at this time of great loss.  

Jack McInroy












1 comment: